Monday, August 5, 2013

Panna Cotta {recipe}

The first time my mom and dad met Dan's parents they had us all over for a BBQ.  My mom brought panna cotta with salted caramel sauce and chocolate sables.

This is completely normal for my mom.  You ask her to bring dessert and where most people pick up cookies or a cake at the grocery store or local bakery, she makes some fabulous dessert that she claims took no time at all.

This time though she was telling the truth.  
I made it this last week and it was surprisingly easy and quick.

The first time I had panna cotta was my first visit to florence.  
Usually, it's served there with fresh berries or chocolate sauce.  And I loved the creaminess of it, but have always been nervous to make it.  So glad I tried it, but I almost wish I didn't know it had 2 cups of heavy cream in it but I learned from this great article that it's name actually means cooked cream.  I guess I should have known.

Buttermilk Panna Cotta
adapted from Miette


Ingredients:

 - 2 cups heavy cream
 - 1/3 cup sugar
 - 1 vanilla bean pod, split lengthwise
 - 1 tsp gelatin powder (about 1/2 package)
 - 1 cup plus 2 tbs buttermilk

Directions:

Sprinkle gelatin powder evenly over 1/3 cup heavy cream and let sit for at least 10 minutes.

In saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining cream and sugar.  Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pot.  Whisk to combine.  Add vanilla bean pod and bring to a boil.

Remove vanilla bean pod from liquid {you can let this dry and put it in a airtight container of sugar for vanilla-sugar}.  Stir in the gelatin until dissolved.  Add buttermilk and continue whisking.

Remove from heat and strain the mixture into a large measuring cup.  Pour the mixture into small jars or whatever you would like to serve it.  {We used crystal champagne coupes.} Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours - the longer the better. This will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator.

Top with:
 - fresh berries and honey - my favorite!
 - chocolate sauce
 - salted caramel sauce and a chocolate cookie

LMF 

2 comments:

  1. Uh, YUM!! I definitely need to try this!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.HeyLoveBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giovanna! You definitely should! I've already made it (and ate it all!) again since posting :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...